iChurch – The “iChurch” Dilemma #1
Opening Scripture: Matthew 16:13-20
For this series, “iChurch,” the one take away is “There is no ‘I’ in Church but there is a ‘U’”! This means, for us to get the most out of Church and for us to view the church properly, it is not about what “I” need or what “I” want but what God said about the church.
When we desire for the Church to become what God has said about it then the needs of you and I will be met.
So, like most things in the Kingdom of God, what God said will seem contrary to carnal thinking and intellect.
We will never be fulfilled as a Follower of Christ until we go from:
Ichurch to iChurch
I take to iServe
Introvert to iGrow
IQ to iKnow
Notice that there is a little “i” and a large Serve, Grow and Know. So, to get us operating at LARGE levels of Serving, Growing and Knowing, we have to develop a foundation.
13 Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?” 14 And they said, “Some say John the Baptist, others say Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” 15 He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” 16 Simon Peter replied, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” 17 And Jesus answered him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven. 18 And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.” 20 Then he strictly charged the disciples to tell no one that he was the Christ.
There is something in seminary called the “Law of First Mention.” That simply means that the first time something is mentioned in the Bible the immediate words and sentences following it carry great weight in the doctrinal and theological meaning of it.
Matthew 16:18 “And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.”
This is the first time in scripture “CHURCH” is mentioned.
As we are establishing new culture in our church we would be wise to establish on “What God said” rather than creating an “iChurch.”
“iDefinition” and His Definition
Church – “a building used for public Christian worship” Oscars Dictionary.
Bible References to the Church-
Matthew 16:15-18 “the gates of Hell shall not prevail against it.”
Ephesians 5:24-32 “Bride of Christ”
Colossians 1:18 “Body of Christ”
You never get a second chance to make a First impression.
Where is He going to build it? How he is going to build it? Why is He going to build it?
Jesus’s Question- Matthew 16:13b-15 “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?”14 And they said, “Some say John the Baptist, others say Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” 15 He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?”
This is not a moment of insecurity or introspection. Jesus knew/knows who he is.
He wants you to know who he is.
Jesus starts with a question. This is not a moment of insecurity or introspection but the minute you need some to tell you who you are for your confidence it is a slippery slope to arrogance.
Jesus doesn’t need you to tell him who He is for His sake. He needs you to do it for your sake.
Peter’s Response- Matthew 16:16 “16 Simon Peter replied, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”
Jesus has given Himself, so we can become sons.
As sons of God, we are empowered by his person (Jesus) to do and to reveal his person (Jesus) here in the earth.
Jesus Responds- Matthew 16:17 “And Jesus answered him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven.”
It is not “Rock” until it has been Revealed.
Joshua 4:3 “and command them, saying, ‘Take twelve stones [Rock] from here out of the midst of the Jordan, from the very place where the priests’ feet stood firmly,and bring them over with you and lay them down in the place where you lodge tonight.’”
Revealed Rocks are a reminder of the Living Stones you are becoming.
I Peter 2:5 “you yourselves like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house.”
A.W. Tozer - The tragedy of the church is that from childhood to old age men have only known a synthetic God compounded of only Logic and Theology having no eyes to see or ears to hear.
Dependency will open up perceptibility!
Not as perspective or perceiving, but to be able to hear or see or sense.
Notice what he is doing. He is “Building People” and not building a project.
Where is He going to build it? He is going to build it on Jesus Christ.
How he is going to build it? He is going to build it through Us.
Why is He going to build it? Because the church is the Hope of the World.
Shall not prevail - to be superior in strength to the detriment of the opposing force.
It is time for the Church to be SUPERIOR again.
He was asking people who were in his presence, he was not preaching to the lost.
You are here, in his presence and he is asking you… “Who do you say that I am?”
Planted - “Fruit where you are, Roots where you’re Growing.”
3 Keys to “Roots” (Time, Talking, Tithe)
- Attending - 3 Sunday’s per month. National statistics show active church attendance is 1.8 Sundays a month.
- Inviting - Inviting means Invested. If we won’t invite someone it is because of one of 2 reasons: A Fruit Issue or A Root Issue. We are not Producing, or We are not Planted.
- Invest - Time (Attending), Talent (Fruit or Inviting), Tithe (Financially)
We have missed “YOU” because we have done great on a platform but haven’t connected personally.
We cannot pastor from a platform… pastoring has to be done personally.
So, what has God shown us from Heaven’s perspective?
- The New Building
- Our desire to be in the New Facility is our 2020 vision. We are still on the time frame to make that happen. If we didn’t break ground until Jan. 2020 we would still be in by Sept. 2020.
- The Problem: If you feel you belong to TWBC because of a project, when the project is done you will feel you do not belong any longer.
- If you feel lost now and do not have a place to belong, how will you feel when we get into a building 2X this size.
YOU are more important than any project!!!
- Our Students & Our Kids
- TWBC’s desire is for us to create an environment that by the 8th grade our kids can live as true Followers of Christ in a world that doesn’t.
- Identity, Thoughts, Acts, Ways of God and now how to live it out and not be ashamed.
Therefore, beginning Wednesday, July 11, this is going to completely become Student Ministry and Kid Facility.
This is not a “Want to” change this is a “Necessary Change” for Spiritual Formation.
- What about Adults?
- GROUP LIFE- We want you to find a place of belonging, fulfillment and experience life.
- Serve, Grow, Know- BASE Groups have been good but not a fit for everyone.
Examples: Cafe = Life, Security = Life, Impacting Kids = Life, Spanish Translators = Life
- We want to create a group that gives you Purpose and Life!!!
- We need your help. What do you like?
- Group Life gives us the opportunity to Pastor Personally.
- We are not dissolving what we currently have but opening it up to facilitate what we do not have.
- The Ease of Group Life… You + 2, Talk about God, Pray Together and commit to seeing each other on Sunday.
- You can be involved in more than one group.
- Connect Quickly
We have found at TWBC that we can get people to come… but we want you to stay.The truth is if you are not fulfilled you will not stay. We want you to get past the 6 month wall, overcome and find a place to stay.
- To help people get Planted we are creating a complete new position. A pastor to help you Connect.
- Damon Wilks will be transitioning into this role. Just as Pastor Bonnie and Pastor Jeff have transitioned in to their current positions from other roles pastor Damon will do the same. His first objective is to walk with families for the first year. Help Get “You” planted, Get “You” Life, Get “You” into a place to belong.
We don’t want to do church for you, we want to live for Christ WITH you.
Commit To Getting Dirty - Proverbs 14:4“Where there are no oxen, the manger is clean, but abundant crops come by the strength of the ox."
The Timeline - The Vision waits an appointed time.
April 29th- Group Life - We will start the group life process by finding our what is in your heart. (Survey)
June 7th- Pastor Damon Wilks transitions over to new pastoral role. Pastor Damon will take a vacation and begin training over the month of July for his new position.
June 8th- Korey Hankins is the new Pastor of TWBC Student Ministries.
June 27th- Wednesday Evening Adult Worship Service Finalé
July 4th- No Wednesday Night Activities
July 11th- Group Life Culture Begins and TWBC Becomes a Student Ministry & TWBC Kids Facility.
Login/Register to leave comment