iChurch – iQuestion #4
Opening Scripture: Ephesians 1:17-19
For this series, “iChurch,” the one take-away is “There is no ‘I’ in Church but there is a ‘U’”! This means, for us to get the most out of Church and for us to view the church properly, it is not about what “I” need or what “I” want but what God said about the church.
When we desire for the Church to become what God has said about it, then the needs of you and I will be met.
So, like most things in the Kingdom of God, what God said will seem contrary to carnal thinking and intellect.
We will never be fulfilled as a Follower of Christ until we go from:
Ichurch to iChurch
I take to iServe
Introvert to iGrow
IQ to iKnow
Notice that there is a little “i” and a large Serve, Grow and Know. So, to get us operating at LARGE levels of Serving, Growing and Knowing, we have to develop a foundation.
17 that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and of revelationin the knowledge of him,18 having the eyes of your hearts enlightened, that you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, 19 and what is the immeasurable greatness of his power toward us who believe, according to the working of his great might”.
To develop roots to where you are growing it is not about how much information we can gather, it is about “Asking the right iQuestion.”
The iQuestion – Do I want to Know about Him or operate in the Knowledge of Him?
Many people what to be in iKnow groups because they want knowledge about Him (Jesus). We cannot settle any longer just know about Him when he has called us to operate in the Knowledge of Him.
Example:Those times when all you can say is “I don’t know” or “It is to much.” God is trying to bring out the “Knowledge of Him” in you.
He is making you into more than you. He is making you like Him.
Aspirations or Realities?
Matthew 25:14-30 Parable of the Talents:
14 “For it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servant and entrusted to them his property. 15 To one he gave five talents, to another two, to another one, to each according to his ability. Then he went away. 16 He who had received the five talents went at once and traded with them, and he made five talents more.17 So also he who had the two talents made two talents more.18 But he who had received the one talent went and dug in the ground and hid his master’s money.19 Now after a long time the master of those servants came and settled accounts with them.20 And he who had received the five talents came forward, bringing five talents more, saying, ‘Master, you delivered to me five talents; here I have made five talents more.’21 His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’ 22 And he also who had the two talents came forward, saying, ‘Master, you delivered to me two talents; here I have made two talents more.’ 23 His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’24 He also who had received the one talent came forward, saying, ‘Master, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you did not sow, and gathering where you scattered no seed,25 so I was afraid, and I went and hid your talent in the ground. Here you have what is yours.’ 26 But his master answered him, ‘You wicked and slothful servant! You knew that I reap where I have not sown and gather where I scattered no seed?27 Then you ought to have invested my money with the bankers, and at my coming I should have received what was my own with interest.28 So take the talent from him and give it to him who has the ten talents.29 For to everyone who has will more be given, and he will have an abundance. But from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away.30 And cast the worthless servant into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’
Many of us have aspirations of walking in the Knowledge of Him but have never entered that Reality. You will never walk in the Knowledge of Him by only gathering information alone.
- 10% happens in formal training
- 5% of that 10% is self learning
- 20% is Coaching, Observing and Feedback
- 70% is On the Job Experience
T-1 individuals look at the command and:
Think it is impossible.
Question the goodness of the Master (not Father).
Question the Wisdom of the Master.
Make wrong assessments of the Master. The T 2&5 never said he was hard.
T-1’sare the greatest information gatherers on the planet. But they live in the 10%.
Danger: The danger of T-1 type people, is that they are really ignoring God while thinking they are serving him.
They were operating like their master. They were aware that they re-presented the master in his absence.They endeavored to rise to His level of doing business.
Faithful sons do not get caught in the trap of ‘how’ they are going to fulfill the Father’s plan. Our job is to take the first step then the next step, His job is to fulfill the plan.
Faithful sons are not looking at what is missing. They look at what is possible.
Before they have tried, or even after they have tried and been unsuccessful (multiple times).
He is making you into more than you. He is making you like Him.
They trust the Master!!!
Anyone can do what they are told when the master is present. The real test is “What you do when you are not being told and he is physically not present?”
Many people say Joel, y'all’s kids are so good. The truth is I don't know if they are good… because they are still under my “telling them what to do.”
The test is how they steward my presence when I am physically not around.
What you are doing now is not for “right now” but for what God is trying to give you Authority over.
iKnow Groups are not about simply gaining Knowledge about Himbut operating in the Knowledge of Him.
Planted - “Fruit where you are, Roots where you’re Growing.”
3 Keys to “Roots” (Time, Talking, Tithe)
- Attending - 3 Sunday’s per month. National statistics show active church attendance is 1.8 Sundays a month.
- Inviting - Inviting means Invested. If we won’t invite someone it is because of one of 2 reasons: A Fruit Issue or A Root Issue. We are not Producing, or We are not Planted.
- Invest - Time (Attending), Talent (Fruit or Inviting), Tithe (Financially)
We have missed “YOU” because we have done great on a platform but haven’t connected personally.
We cannot pastor from a platform… pastoring has to be done personally.
So, what has God shown us from Heaven’s perspective?
- The New Building
- Our desire to be in the New Facility is our 2020 vision. We are still on the time frame to make that happen. If we didn’t break ground until Jan. 2020 we would still be in by Sept. 2020.
- The Problem: If you feel you belong to TWBC because of a project, when the project is done you will feel you do not belong any longer.
- If you feel lost now and do not have a place to belong, how will you feel when we get into a building 2X this size.
YOU are more important than any project!!!
- Our Students & Our Kids
- TWBC’s desire is for us to create an environment that by the 8th grade our kids can live as true Followers of Christ in a world that doesn’t.
- Identity, Thoughts, Acts, Ways of God and now how to live it out and not be ashamed.
Therefore, beginning Wednesday, July 11, this is going to completely become Student Ministry and Kid Facility.
This is not a “Want to” change this is a “Necessary Change” for Spiritual Formation.
- What about Adults?
- GROUP LIFE- We want you to find a place of belonging, fulfillment and experience life.
- Serve, Grow, Know- BASE Groups have been good but not a fit for everyone.
Examples: Cafe = Life, Security = Life, Impacting Kids = Life, Spanish Translators = Life
- We want to create a group that gives you Purpose and Life!!!
- We need your help. What do you like?
- Group Life gives us the opportunity to Pastor Personally.
- We are not dissolving what we currently have but opening it up to facilitate what we do not have.
- The Ease of Group Life… You + 2, Talk about God, Pray Together and commit to seeing each other on Sunday.
- You can be involved in more than one group.
- Connect Quickly
We have found at TWBC that we can get people to come… but we want you to stay.The truth is if you are not fulfilled you will not stay. We want you to get past the 6 month wall, overcome and find a place to stay.
- To help people get Planted we are creating a complete new position. A pastor to help you Connect.
- Damon Wilks will be transitioning into this role. Just as Pastor Bonnie and Pastor Jeff have transitioned in to their current positions from other roles pastor Damon will do the same. His first objective is to walk with families for the first year. Help Get “You” planted, Get “You” Life, Get “You” into a place to belong.
We don’t want to do church for you, we want to live for Christ WITH you.
Commit To Getting Dirty - Proverbs 14:4“Where there are no oxen, the manger is clean, but abundant crops come by the strength of the ox."
The Timeline - The Vision waits an appointed time.
April 29th- Group Life - We will start the group life process by finding our what is in your heart. (Survey)
June 7th- Pastor Damon Wilks transitions over to new pastoral role. Pastor Damon will take a vacation and begin training over the month of July for his new position.
June 8th- Korey Hankins is the new Pastor of TWBC Student Ministries.
June 27th- Wednesday Evening Adult Worship Service Finalé
July 4th- No Wednesday Night Activities
July 11th- Group Life Culture Begins and TWBC Becomes a Student Ministry & TWBC Kids Facility.
Login/Register to leave comment