iChurch – iExperience #2
Opening Scripture: Matthew 14:13-21
For this series, “iChurch,” the one take-away is “There is no ‘I’ in Church but there is a ‘U’”! This means, for us to get the most out of Church and for us to view the church properly, it is not about what “I” need or what “I” want but what God said about the church.
When we desire for the Church to become what God has said about it then the needs of you and I will be met.
So, like most things in the Kingdom of God, what God said will seem contrary to carnal thinking and intellect.
We will never be fulfilled as a Follower of Christ until we go from:
Ichurch to iChurch
I take to iServe
Introvert to iGrow
IQ to iKnow
Notice that there is a little “i” and a large Serve, Grow and Know. So, to get us operating at LARGE levels of Serving, Growing and Knowing, we have to develop a foundation.
You have heard us say for 2 months that we do not want to do church for you, we want to do church with you. The struggle is if we do not understand “Why?” we find ourselves trying to be fulfilled by information when the truth is Fulfillment only comes by application.
Church is the only place I have seen where people want to come and get a game plan but never get into the game.
It is like watching a lot of game film and at the end of the day saying, “Man we got a lot done today and that was such a great victory.”
What!!! You didn’t do anything.
The difference is that there isn’t any of us who can that play in the NFL but we all have a starting position when we grasp “iChurch.”
13 Now when Jesus heard this, he withdrew from there in a boat to a desolate place by himself. But when the crowds heard it, they followed him on foot from the towns. 14 When he went ashore he saw a great crowd, and he had compassion on them and healed their sick.15 Now when it was evening, the disciples came to him and said, “This is a desolate place, and the day is now over; send the crowds away to go into the villages and buy food for themselves.” 16 But Jesus said, “They need not go away; you give them something to eat.” 17 They said to him, “We have only five loaves here and two fish.” 18 And he said, “Bring them here to me.” 19 Then he ordered the crowds to sit down on the grass, and taking the five loaves and the two fish, he looked up to heaven and said a blessing. Then he broke the loaves and gave them to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the crowds. 20 And they all ate and were satisfied. And they took up twelve baskets full of the broken pieces left over. 21 And those who ate were about five thousand men, besides women and children.
- 10% of knowledge happens through formal training
(5% of that 10% is self-learning (Personal Reading, Studying, Etc..)
- 20% is Coaching, Observing and Feedback/Questions
- 70% is On the Job Experience
Many of us have a spiritual hunger that can only get filled by feeding, not eating.
16 But Jesus said, “They need not go away; you give them something to eat.”
In the 10% You can Appreciate
In the 20% You can Anticipate
But in the 70% you get to Participate
The Disciples had mastered the 10% because they were following Jesus.
They were getting the 20% because they recognized the current problem of “No Food.”
This is where many people live their lives today, we can appreciate Jesus and point out all the problems.
…But Jesus wanted them to have more… The Experience.
The 10% & 20% are great, but if we do not get to the 70% then the 10% & 20% are useless.
When we get tired of reading about someone else’s dream, only then will we start living our dream.
Over the past 10 years I have read a countless number of books but the only things I remember are the things I Participated in.
The 20% is the Danger Zone. The danger is we know the information well enough to spot problems. Telling people the problem is far different than giving them the answer.
15 Now when it was evening, the disciples came to him and said, “This is a desolate place, and the day is now over; send the crowds away to go into the villages and buy food for themselves.” 16 But Jesus said, “They need not go away; you give them something to eat.”
They were with Jesus long enough to appreciate him, had been coached by him enough to know the problem, BUT… the people were still hungry.
Illustration: Sur La Table Experience
The world is waiting to see our private information displayed in public participation.
16 But Jesus said, “They need not go away; you give them something to eat.” 17 They said to him, “We have only five loaves here and two fish.” 18 And he said, “Bring them here to me.” 19 Then he ordered the crowds to sit down on the grass, and taking the five loaves and the two fish, he looked up to heaven and said a blessing. Then he broke the loaves and gave them to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the crowds. 20 And they all ate and were satisfied. And they took up twelve baskets full of the broken pieces left over.
Not the first time: John 2 – Jesus Turns Water to Wine
The disciples, at this point got the 10% and the 20%, but Jesus, in this miracle, was only setting them up to get in on the next miracle.
They got Appreciation! The got Anticipation! What they hadn’t experienced was participation. Jesus wanted them to have the experience.
The great conundrum is how do we get to 70% Experience and 10% information? Because the reality is we are existing with 70% information and 10% experience.
The answer: iServe
Planted - “Fruit where you are, Roots where you’re Growing.”
3 Keys to “Roots” (Time, Talking, Tithe)
- Attending - 3 Sunday’s per month. National statistics show active church attendance is 1.8 Sundays a month.
- Inviting - Inviting means Invested. If we won’t invite someone it is because of one of 2 reasons: A Fruit Issue or A Root Issue. We are not Producing, or We are not Planted.
- Invest - Time (Attending), Talent (Fruit or Inviting), Tithe (Financially)
We have missed “YOU” because we have done great on a platform but haven’t connected personally.
We cannot pastor from a platform… pastoring has to be done personally.
So, what has God shown us from Heaven’s perspective?
- The New Building
- Our desire to be in the New Facility is our 2020 vision. We are still on the time frame to make that happen. If we didn’t break ground until Jan. 2020 we would still be in by Sept. 2020.
- The Problem: If you feel you belong to TWBC because of a project, when the project is done you will feel you do not belong any longer.
- If you feel lost now and do not have a place to belong, how will you feel when we get into a building 2X this size.
YOU are more important than any project!!!
- Our Students & Our Kids
- TWBC’s desire is for us to create an environment that by the 8th grade our kids can live as true Followers of Christ in a world that doesn’t.
- Identity, Thoughts, Acts, Ways of God and now how to live it out and not be ashamed.
Therefore, beginning Wednesday, July 11, this is going to completely become Student Ministry and Kid Facility.
This is not a “Want to” change this is a “Necessary Change” for Spiritual Formation.
- What about Adults?
- GROUP LIFE- We want you to find a place of belonging, fulfillment and experience life.
- Serve, Grow, Know- BASE Groups have been good but not a fit for everyone.
Examples: Cafe = Life, Security = Life, Impacting Kids = Life, Spanish Translators = Life
- We want to create a group that gives you Purpose and Life!!!
- We need your help. What do you like?
- Group Life gives us the opportunity to Pastor Personally.
- We are not dissolving what we currently have but opening it up to facilitate what we do not have.
- The Ease of Group Life… You + 2, Talk about God, Pray Together and commit to seeing each other on Sunday.
- You can be involved in more than one group.
- Connect Quickly
We have found at TWBC that we can get people to come… but we want you to stay.The truth is if you are not fulfilled you will not stay. We want you to get past the 6 month wall, overcome and find a place to stay.
- To help people get Planted we are creating a complete new position. A pastor to help you Connect.
- Damon Wilks will be transitioning into this role. Just as Pastor Bonnie and Pastor Jeff have transitioned in to their current positions from other roles pastor Damon will do the same. His first objective is to walk with families for the first year. Help Get “You” planted, Get “You” Life, Get “You” into a place to belong.
We don’t want to do church for you, we want to live for Christ WITH you.
Commit To Getting Dirty - Proverbs 14:4“Where there are no oxen, the manger is clean, but abundant crops come by the strength of the ox."
The Timeline - The Vision waits an appointed time.
April 29th- Group Life - We will start the group life process by finding our what is in your heart. (Survey)
June 7th- Pastor Damon Wilks transitions over to new pastoral role. Pastor Damon will take a vacation and begin training over the month of July for his new position.
June 8th- Korey Hankins is the new Pastor of TWBC Student Ministries.
June 27th- Wednesday Evening Adult Worship Service Finalé
July 4th- No Wednesday Night Activities
July 11th- Group Life Culture Begins and TWBC Becomes a Student Ministry & TWBC Kids Facility.
Login/Register to leave comment