iChurch – iBelong #3
Opening Scripture: Mark 1:16-20
For this series, “iChurch,” the one take-away is “There is no ‘I’ in Church but there is a ‘U’”! This means, for us to get the most out of Church and for us to view the church properly, it is not about what “I” need or what “I” want but what God said about the church.
When we desire for the Church to become what God has said about it, then the needs of you and I will be met.
So, like most things in the Kingdom of God, what God said will seem contrary to carnal thinking and intellect.
We will never be fulfilled as a Follower of Christ until we go from:
Ichurch to iChurch
I take to iServe
Introvert to iGrow
IQ to iKnow
Notice that there is a little “i” and a large Serve, Grow and Know. So, to get us operating at LARGE levels of Serving, Growing and Knowing, we have to develop a foundation.
16 Passing alongside the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and Andrew the brother of Simon casting a net into the sea, for they were fishermen. 17 And Jesus said to them, “Follow me, and I will make you become fishers of men.” 18 And immediately they left their nets and followed him. 19 And going on a little farther, he saw James the son of Zebedee and John his brother, who were in their boat mending the nets. 20 And immediately he called them, and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired servants and followed him.
You have heard us say for over 2 months that we do not want to do church for you, we want to do church with you. Last week we told you the “Why?” because 70% of Knowledge is gained through application and only 10% through information.
Now that you know “Why” today we answer the “How?”
There is no I in church but there is a U. But U cannot do it alone.
iGrow is about us not doing Church alone, but growing relationally with one another. Many Christians think it is OK to live as the Lone Ranger when, the reality is, isolation makes you the Lone Stranger!
46 And day by day, attending the temple togetherand breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts, 47 praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved.
You + 2 is a group!
Matthew 18:19 Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. 20 For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.”
You + 2 is a group. But this says 2 or 3?
We want a minimum of 3 because we know that all 3 can’t be there all the time. So, there is still power if only 2 of you can make it.
But if there is just 2 and 1 can’t make it the scenario becomes “I” again.
Talk about God!
Pray for one another!
“20 For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.”
See you Sunday!
46 And day by day, attending the templetogether
Many of us want the favor of God and for God to grow the church in (verse 47) but how He did it was verse 46.
Pastor Mitch and Pastor Jeff always say introverts unite… in their own homes, by themselves, on the couch, watching TV.
At church you get to know “About someone” – in homes you get to “Know someone”
At church you get to see “how” they are – in homes we get to know “who” they are.
At church you can meet them – in homes you can do life with them.
What is more effective 1 group of 1,300 or 433 groups of 3?
Illustration – The Chair –the influence of by myself or with 2 or others.
Not for Me
17 And Jesus said to them, “Follow me, and I will make you become fishers of men.”
Come belong or Follow Me
I will make you become.
Option 1: When you Belong, you begin to Believe and you will Become!
Option 2: When I do not Belong, I am forced to Behave to fit in (not Believe) and will never become.
When my “belonging” is based on my behavior, I am forced to live and be something I really am not.
Christianity is not behavior modification, it is believing modification.
Illustration – The Chair – Standing on it pulling some else up.
It is not about Looking Up or Looking Down, it is about Looking Around.
Looking up - I want to hang out with them because maybe one day I can be like that.
HE is the UP. I am not trying to be like someone I am already a son.
Looking Down – You’re not trying to be someone’s savior, that is Jesus also.
Looking Around – it is about Grace for the Place people are in.
John 4:35 “Do you not say, ‘There are yet four months, then comes the harvest’? Look, I tell you, lift up your eyes, and see that the fields are white for harvest.
Many of us have viewed this scripture to only pertain to those who have never met Christ… but I know a lot of Christian who “know Christ” but still need saving.
We have seen the #BetterTogether but the Bible says #NecessityTogether!
Planted - “Fruit where you are, Roots where you’re Growing.”
3 Keys to “Roots” (Time, Talking, Tithe)
- Attending - 3 Sunday’s per month. National statistics show active church attendance is 1.8 Sundays a month.
- Inviting - Inviting means Invested. If we won’t invite someone it is because of one of 2 reasons: A Fruit Issue or A Root Issue. We are not Producing, or We are not Planted.
- Invest - Time (Attending), Talent (Fruit or Inviting), Tithe (Financially)
We have missed “YOU” because we have done great on a platform but haven’t connected personally.
We cannot pastor from a platform… pastoring has to be done personally.
So, what has God shown us from Heaven’s perspective?
- The New Building
- Our desire to be in the New Facility is our 2020 vision. We are still on the time frame to make that happen. If we didn’t break ground until Jan. 2020 we would still be in by Sept. 2020.
- The Problem: If you feel you belong to TWBC because of a project, when the project is done you will feel you do not belong any longer.
- If you feel lost now and do not have a place to belong, how will you feel when we get into a building 2X this size.
YOU are more important than any project!!!
- Our Students & Our Kids
- TWBC’s desire is for us to create an environment that by the 8th grade our kids can live as true Followers of Christ in a world that doesn’t.
- Identity, Thoughts, Acts, Ways of God and now how to live it out and not be ashamed.
Therefore, beginning Wednesday, July 11, this is going to completely become Student Ministry and Kid Facility.
This is not a “Want to” change this is a “Necessary Change” for Spiritual Formation.
- What about Adults?
- GROUP LIFE- We want you to find a place of belonging, fulfillment and experience life.
- Serve, Grow, Know- BASE Groups have been good but not a fit for everyone.
Examples: Cafe = Life, Security = Life, Impacting Kids = Life, Spanish Translators = Life
- We want to create a group that gives you Purpose and Life!!!
- We need your help. What do you like?
- Group Life gives us the opportunity to Pastor Personally.
- We are not dissolving what we currently have but opening it up to facilitate what we do not have.
- The Ease of Group Life… You + 2, Talk about God, Pray Together and commit to seeing each other on Sunday.
- You can be involved in more than one group.
- Connect Quickly
We have found at TWBC that we can get people to come… but we want you to stay.The truth is if you are not fulfilled you will not stay. We want you to get past the 6 month wall, overcome and find a place to stay.
- To help people get Planted we are creating a complete new position. A pastor to help you Connect.
- Damon Wilks will be transitioning into this role. Just as Pastor Bonnie and Pastor Jeff have transitioned in to their current positions from other roles pastor Damon will do the same. His first objective is to walk with families for the first year. Help Get “You” planted, Get “You” Life, Get “You” into a place to belong.
We don’t want to do church for you, we want to live for Christ WITH you.
Commit To Getting Dirty - Proverbs 14:4“Where there are no oxen, the manger is clean, but abundant crops come by the strength of the ox."
The Timeline - The Vision waits an appointed time.
April 29th- Group Life - We will start the group life process by finding our what is in your heart. (Survey)
June 7th- Pastor Damon Wilks transitions over to new pastoral role. Pastor Damon will take a vacation and begin training over the month of July for his new position.
June 8th- Korey Hankins is the new Pastor of TWBC Student Ministries.
June 27th- Wednesday Evening Adult Worship Service Finalé
July 4th- No Wednesday Night Activities
July 11th- Group Life Culture Begins and TWBC Becomes a Student Ministry & TWBC Kids Facility.
Login/Register to leave comment