FIRE - More Than An Attraction #5
Opening Scripture: John 21:1-13
Welcome of Visitors/Dismiss
Planted - “Fruit where you are, Roots where you’re Growing.”
3 Keys to “Roots” (Time, Talking, Tithe)
- Attending - 3 Sunday’s per month. National statistics show active church attendance is 1.8 Sundays a month.
- Inviting - Inviting means Invested. If we won’t invite someone it is because of one of 2 reasons: A Fruit Issue or A Root Issue. We are not Producing or We are not Planted.
- Invest - Time (Attending), Talent (Fruit or Inviting), Tithe (Financially)
We have missed “YOU” because we have done great on a platform but haven’t connected personally.
We cannot pastor from a platform… pastoring has to be done personally.
So what has God shown us from Heaven’s perspective?
- The New Building
- Our desire to be in the New Facility is our 2020 vision. We are still on the time frame to make that happen. If we didn’t break ground until Jan. 2020 we would still be in by Sept. 2020.
- The Problem: If you feel you belong to TWBC because of a project, when the project is done you will feel you do not belong any longer.
- If you feel lost now and do not have a place to belong, how will you feel when we get into a building 2X this size.
YOU are more important than any project!!!
2. Our Students & Our Kids
- TWBC’s desire is for us to create an environment that by the 8th grade our kids can live as true Followers of Christ in a world that doesn’t.
- Identity, Thoughts, Acts, Ways of God and now how to live it out and not be ashamed.
Therefore beginning Wednesday, July 11, this is going to completely become Student Ministry and Kid Facility.
This is not a “Want to” change this is a “Necessary Change” for Spiritual Formation.
3. What about Adults?
- GROUP LIFE - We want you to find a place of belonging, fulfillment and experience life.
- Serve, Grow, Know - BASE Groups have been good but not a fit for everyone.
Examples: Cafe = Life, Security = Life, Impacting Kids = Life, Spanish Translators = Life
- We want to create a group that gives you Purpose and Life!!!
- We need your help. What do you like?
- Group Life gives us the opportunity to Pastor Personally.
- We are not dissolving what we currently have but opening it up to facilitate what we do not have.
- The Ease of Group Life… You + 2, Talk about God, Pray Together and commit to seeing each other on Sunday.
- You can be involved in more than one group.
4. Connect Quickly
We have found at TWBC that we can get people to come… but we want you to stay. The truth is if you are not fulfilled you will not stay. We want you to get past the 6 month wall, overcome and find a place to stay.
- To help people get Planted we are creating a complete new position. A pastor to help you Connect.
- Damon Wilks will be transitioning into this role. Just as Pastor Bonnie and Pastor Jeff have transitioned in to their current positions from other roles pastor Damon will do the same. His first objective is to walk with families for the first year. Help Get “You” planted, Get “You” Life, Get “You” into a place to belong.
We don’t want to do church for you, we want to live for Christ WITH you.
Commit To Getting Dirty - Proverbs 14:4 “Where there are no oxen, the manger is clean, but abundant crops come by the strength of the ox."
The Timeline - The Vision waits an appointed time.
April 29th - Group Life - We will start the group life process by finding our what is in your heart. (Survey)
June 7th - Pastor Damon Wilks transitions over to new pastoral role. Pastor Damon will take a vacation and begin training over the month of July for his new position.
June 8th - Korey Hankins is the new Pastor of TWBC Student Ministries.
June 27th - Wednesday Evening Adult Worship Service Finalé
July 4th - No Wednesday Night Activities
July 11th - Group Life Culture Begins and TWBC Becomes a Student Ministry & TWBC Kids Facility.
Bonfires vs. Campfires -The best way to describe the benefits of both corporate and small group worship is by comparing a bonfire and a campfire.
Size - Large Small
Heat- Hot Warm
Light- Bright Comfortable Glow
Visibility- Noticeable from a distance Personal
Awe factor- Intimidating Approachable
Consumption- Requires a lot of fuel Requires little fuel
Workload- Requires much effort Requires less effort
Fire is an event, not a thing. Heating wood or other fuel releases volatile vapors that can rapidly combust with oxygen in the air; the resulting incandescent bloom of gas further heats the fuel, releasing more vapors and perpetuating the cycle.
1 After this Jesus revealed himself again to the disciples by the Sea of Tiberias, and he revealed himself in this way. 2 Simon Peter, Thomas (called the Twin), Nathanael of Cana in Galilee, the sons of Zebedee, and two others of his disciples were together. 3 Simon Peter said to them, “I am going fishing.” They said to him, “We will go with you.” They went out and got into the boat, but that night they caught nothing.
4 Just as day was breaking, Jesus stood on the shore; yet the disciples did not know that it was Jesus. 5 Jesus said to them, “Children, do you have any fish?” They answered him, “No.” 6 He said to them, “Cast the net on the right side of the boat, and you will find some.” So they cast it, and now they were not able to haul it in, because of the quantity of fish. 7 That disciple whom Jesus loved therefore said to Peter, “It is the Lord!” When Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he put on his outer garment, for he was stripped for work, and threw himself into the sea. 8 The other disciples came in the boat, dragging the net full of fish, for they were not far from the land, but about a hundred yards off.
9 When they got out on land, they saw a charcoal fire in place, with fish laid out on it, and bread. 10 Jesus said to them, “Bring some of the fish that you have just caught.” 11 So Simon Peter went aboard and hauled the net ashore, full of large fish, 153 of them. And although there were so many, the net was not torn. 12 Jesus said to them, “Come and have breakfast.” Now none of the disciples dared ask him, “Who are you?” They knew it was the Lord. 13 Jesus came and took the bread and gave it to them, and so with the fish.
The one thing fire does is that it attracts.
The inherit danger of fire is the attraction.
Fire draws a crowd. Fire makes people feel warm. Fire gives light that attracts.
Fire is expressed through the gifts God has placed in you, all this sounds good, so what is the danger?
The danger is, that as we get the fire of God, there is the issue of thinking it is “My Fire and people are attracted to Me.” “Come and watch me Burn.”
In this passage, Jesus built a fire. In this passage the fire was not for attraction, it was not for a warm feeling and it was not to “just watch it burn.”
Feed, Remind and Restore
The very first thing Peter saw when he came on the shore was a meal prepared for them.
John 21:9 “When they got out on land, they saw a charcoal fire in place, with fish laid out on it, and bread.”
People can “come watch you burn” and leave hungry.
People can be touched by a our fire and still leave hungry.
When the other disciples came to shore they didn’t have to ask who he was because immediately they knew.
“12 Jesus said to them, “Come and have breakfast.” Now none of the disciples dared ask him, “Who are you?” They knew it was the Lord. 13 Jesus came and took the bread and gave it to them, and so with the fish.”
Jesus fed them, reminded them but also restored a group of hungry disciples who went back to their old lifestyles and remind them who they were.
15 When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Feed my lambs.” 16 He said to him a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Tend my sheep.” 17 He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” and he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep.
It is not that they were restored, it is what they were restored to!
They were not restored to attract, or to burn, or even to help people feel warm. They were restored on purpose, for a purpose, but also “to” a purpose.
On Purpose: “Simon, son of Jonah, do you love me more than these?”
This is a pointed question of purpose. To Remind Peter of Him and who he is in Him.
For a Purpose: “Simon, son of Jonah, do you love me?” (notice “more than these” isn’t mentioned.) Jesus answered Peter “Tend my sheep.”
For a purpose: Tend My Sheep - Restore them to the purpose Christ created them for.
Did you ever wonder why they didn’t catch any fish all night? Because Christ had transformed them for fishermen to Fishers of Men.
To a Purpose: “Simon, son of Jonah, do you love me?” Jesus answered Peter “Feed My sheep.”
For a purpose: To Feed - Many of us have a spiritual hunger that can only get filled by feeding, not eating.
For a long time people have come to TWBC for the “attraction of the fire, to watch us burn and to leave with a warm feeling.”
From this day forward we will :
Make known and remind people of who they are.
Position and Restore people to the reason they were created.
We will feed with the intention of teaching how to feed.
Login/Register to leave comment